Monday, December 19, 2016

The 2016 Jester One Music Top 20 Countdown - #2

#2 - Broods - Free



Broods is a definitely interesting case for me. The Nott siblings dropped their debut album in 2014 which features the hits "Bridges" and "Mother and Father". The duo are wildly popular in their native New Zealand and Australia, and have been gaining traction in the US the past 3 years. I didn't really get into their first release, but for Conscious they again teamed up with Lorde's producer and co-writer Joel Little and churned out a gem. Georgia Nott had really found her singing ability between all the breathiness that she forced upon listeners on their debut disc Evergreen. Conscious has an edgier, more mature sound that is quite excellent. The album dropped at #1 in NZ, #2 in Australia and #52 on the Billboard Top 200. Other hits include "Heartlines" and "We Had Everything".

Our #2 song started slow on the year. The pulsing drums, driving synths and super infectious chorus all caught my ears, but the wailing in between verses caught me off guard the first few times I listened. I was driving to work early on a cold May morning before the wedding and somehow this song just exploded into me. It's about being allowed to express yourself and not wanting to be held down. But the chorus... holy cow. One of the greatest choruses I've ever heard. It absolutely drives the song to heart.

"Gritting your teeth, you hold onto me
It's never enough, I'm never complete
Tell me to prove, expect me to lose
Push it away,;I'm trying to move
Hoping for more, wishing for less
When I didn't care was when I did best
I'm desperate to run, desperate to leave
If I lose it all at least I'll be free"

The song made it up to #47 on the Hot Rock Songs chart but here in J1 it battled in the top 3 immediately after it's release, and inevitably ended up just barely on the outside looking in. The video features Georgia Nott in captivity and being subjected to virtual torture while a scintillating black-clad Nott accompanies with singing and dancing. She truly looks and sounds fantastic. With all that in mind it's almost amazing that this song (or POP ETC) before it didn't make it to #1. Who did end up taking our top spot? Check in tomorrow to see, and as always have a wonderful day!











Title: Free
Artist: Broods
Album: Conscious


Previous #2s
2015: Andrew McMahon in the Wilderness - Cecilia and the Satellite
2014: Morning Parade - Alienation
2013: Aeon Zen - Warning
2012: Meshuggah - Do Not Look Down
2011: Owl City - Galaxies
2010: Periphery - Icarus Lives!
2009: August Burns Red - Rationalist

No comments:

Post a Comment