Friday, December 2, 2016

The 2016 Jester One Music Top 20 Countdown - #19

 #19 - Metric - The Shade



Canadian rockers Metric return to the Countdown after coming in at #14 in 2012 with "Clone". Their previous effort Fantasies almost landed on the countdown in 2009 as well.  Both of those previous albums are excellent and beautiful and melodic and perfectly fantastic. Emily Haines might be in her 40's now but she still has such a beautiful voice. Unfortunately, this album was a definite letdown in my book, and over time even "The Shade" started to wear on me. There are a few other tracks that I enjoy, including "Lie Lie Lie" and "Too Bad, So Sad". Pagans in Vegas just doesn't seem to capture the same emotion and excitement that usually comes from a Metric record.

"The Shade" is probably the most interesting song on the countdown, story-wise. When I first heard it I was annoyed by the bloops and Haines' chanting "I want it all" on the chorus, but after hearing it a few times I realized it is a pretty little love song. Plus the sensual way she says "Baby, there's no better time" and the driving keys keep the song afloat. I've learned to appreciate the bloops and bleeps, but as the year waned on I found that they were less attractive after hearing the song multiple times. If Metric does release another album soon, I hope that it'll have a little more spunk to it.









Title: The Shade
Artist:
Metric
Album:
Pagans in Vegas



Previous #19s
2015: The Frozen Ocean - Kerosene
2014: Destiny Potato - Take A Picture
2013: Relient K - PTL
2012: Silversun Pickups - Bloody Mary (Nerve Endings)
2011: The Knux - Razorblade
2010: Demon Hunter - Collapsing (ft Bjorn Strid)
2009: Parachute - She Is Love

3 comments:

  1. This song was from this year? I feel like you've been listening to it FOREVER...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This song should have been a batting practice lob. I like Metric, and the melody and lyrics of this song are solid.

    I just could not get past the bloops in the chorus. Horrible, horrible decision by whoever put them there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel you. There was a remixed version without the bloops that they played on our local alternative station - totally different song without them.

      Delete