Tuesday, December 20, 2016

The 2016 Jester One Music Top 20 Countdown - #1

#1 - DMA's - Lay Down


It's here, it's finally here! December 20th, the day of #1! Are you as excited as I am?
Probably not. I'll be honest here - writing the Top 20 can be exhausting. At most I can blurb out 4 or 5 songs per day, and more often than not no more than 2. It is fun to reflect but the yearly toll wears me down and I'm grateful that the month of December is overtaken by Christmas music. But, enough of that droll! It's time for #1!

If we look back on the history of #1s, it is mostly dominated by new bands making an immediately big splash. Hockey, Young the Giant and Cadets had just started their lives, while Purity Ring, Fun. and Surfer Blood were working on huge sophomore efforts. DMA's follows suit in being a brand new band who just released their first full length LP in February. The Aussie alt-rockers give Oceania a strong one-two punch for the countdown and continue the theme of trios dominating the landscape. The band first broke out with the single "Laced" which would not be lost on an Oasis album, and quickly dropped an EP in 2015 featuring the single "Delete". The new album Hills End featured our #1 hit as it's only single and doesn't really have a ton of other standout material on it.


Our #1, "Lay Down" is absolutely a bust out summer smash. It's upbeat, exciting and filled with soaring guitars and splashy cymbals. It bursts out of your speakers and makes you nod and dance and just enjoy life. Despite it's upbeat demeanor, it's a song that struck true in all moods of 2016, be it happiness, sadness or otherwise. It's just a really fun song and it accompanied by a trippy video featuring members of the band going through their lives with crazy special effects and such. I think my two favorite parts of the song are the guitar solo before the 2nd verse and at the very end when singer Tommy O'Dell yells "Lay Down" in the background. It's nothing but good for the first second to the last. It truly is a deserving #1 and I believe it will stand the test of time come next year.

Thanks for tuning in! I'll have a recap whipped together in a few days including my favorite albums and other musical nuggets. Hope to see you then!





Title: Lay Down
Artist: DMA's
Album:Hills End




Previous #1s

2015: Purity Ring - Heartsigh
2014: Cadets - A Drop In The Ocean
2013: Surfer Blood - Demon Dance
2012: Fun. - Some Nights
2011: Young The Giant - My Body
2010: Hockey - Song Away
2009: Morrissey - I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris

2 comments:

  1. Oooh. Yes. I like this. I'll have to check more out from these guys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's definitely promise. Hopefully there will be more coming soon!

      Delete