Friday, September 29, 2017

A little late... but... the 2016 recap!!



Oops...


20. Safemode - Hold On
19. Metric - The Shade
18. House of Heroes - In The End
17. Trivium - Until The World Goes Cold
16. van Canto - Time And Time Again
15. Brian Fallon - A Wonderful Life
14. Chvrches - Leave A Trace
13. Mad Anthony - Sad Songs (ft Steve Wethington)
12. 3 Doors Down - The Broken
11. Circle of Dust - Contagion
10. Miike Snow - Genghis Khan
9. Bleached - Wednesday Night Melody
8. Jess Lamb and the Factory - End of the Line
7. Justin Timberlake - Can't Stop The Feeling!
6. Tyler Bryant & The Shakedown - Loaded Dice and Buried Money
5. blink-182 - Built This Pool
4. Graceful Closure - Choices
3. POP ETC - What Am I Becoming?
2. Broods - Free
1. DMA's - Lay Down


 2016 became a year of unprecedented exposure for the Countdown, by the way of Twitter. #13 brought in 185 views on Twitter and another 129 on the blog, while #11 got retweeted by the band and several of their fans, eventually reaching a somewhat ridiculous view total of 3085 with 35 unique engagements, just on Twitter. The first two years of the countdown featured simple paragraphs about each song, and even in 2010 I featured 5 songs per week, rather than giving each track it's proper due. I want to say that it wasn't until 2012 that I really started digging into writing about the songs featured.

Sadly, all of that stuff is lost in the Xangawaves. I had saved the old files on my old hard drive, but it has gone the way of most old hard drives. The last few years have been featured here on Blogger, and I don't really think I'm missing much from those old days. I mean, I remember everything that I need to know about those songs in my own noggin.

2016 though... what a year. House of Heroes and Graceful Closure from Columbus, Mad Anthony and Jess Lamb from Cincinnati.  The return of 3 Doors Down and blink-182. van Canto finally making the cut, and Circle of Dust literally rising like a phoenix from the ashes. The year began with POP ETC taking a commanding lead, while Broods and DMA's were head-to-head in one of the closest battles in the history of the countdown. This year passed on the trend of multiple songs from bands, with the closest being from blink-182. However, Built This Pool (which also sets the standard for shortest song, ringing in at a minuscule 16 seconds) was too much of a force to be placed among any of the other solid songs from the California album.

It was a quirky year, with Spotify turning into the main vessel for me to listen to my music with. Windows Media Player and the many Rockman's were discarded in favor of a more accessible option, with built-in new music. 2017 might be equally strange, as I've spent less time really digging into releases and just letting them come to me from the streaming apps.

This year I've been working in the local scene, and I can promise you that there will be multiple Columbus artists featured in the 2017 piece. I'll start compiling the data soon, and hopefully we'll have another fun filled trip down nostalgia lane for you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment