Thursday, December 21, 2017

Jester One Local Love 2017!

It was pretty cool that Morning Theft ended up being at #1 this year. I spent a lot of time listened to a lot of great local artists this year, and I wanted to share the ones I listened to the most in 2017.



Morning Theft - Skeleton Twins



I mean, obviously we'll start here. I can't wait to hear their new music, and I really enjoy all 4 songs off of "...these terraformed ends", especially Decry and Skeleton Twins.



So Long, Stargazer - Fall Behind



The local song that I actually listened to the most in 2017 was Fall Behind by So Long, Stargazer.  The band is a beautiful phoenix, risen from the ashes of My Beloved Tragedy, one of my favorites from the Jester Promotions era. The addition of Kristin Green on vocals and piano makes the band soar above the clouds, hence the name "So Long, Stargazer". They only played a few shows in 2017, but I was there and I'm glad I had a chance to rekindle old friendships over great new music. Other great tracks from this record include Rewind and Ready/Up.


Ex-Nihilo - Enemy



Another band from the 2017 countdown. I found them trying to get tickets to see Graceful Closure this spring, a show that I never ended up attending. But I found something much better in Ex-Nihilo! I can't wait for their new music to drop.


Lydia Loveless - To Love Somebody



Now, this song obviously isn't new. But I just keep listened to it over and over again. It's the perfect sad song for those feeling down-trodden and rejected. Lydia might not hang around Columbus much these days, but she's still a phenomenal artist who I still greatly enjoy.


Jocef Michael Band - My Door



I met Jocef at a Ex-Nihilo show I was covering, and my goodness is he a great performer. I love his music, I love his energy, I love his drive. I love everything about the guy. Other great songs off of this record include The Code, Standing, and Flow Like Water.


Curse of Cassandra - Falling



I would honestly bet money that a song from CoC's new album "Nekonomicon" is going to end up on the 2018 Countdown. It's a great album and I can't wait to spend a year with it like I did with "Cult of Cats" this year. There's actually several CoC songs in my Top 100 on Spotify this year. Carpe Noctem and Dragon on a Leash were in heavy rotation for me this previous year.

Cosmos Elephant - The End of the Ocean



Listen, if you've never heard Amy Kies sing, you're missing out on something wonderful in life. Cosmos Elephant were one of the more interesting bands I met this year, and they were kind enough to let me preview their new record in studio with all the band members in a Q&A listening session. My other favorite song from this record is El Diablo Positivo.


Truslow - Doctor



I never understood this song until I had the chance to interview James Truslow and talk about life. It was an eye opening evening, and although this song isn't very new either, it's one that bounced around my head a lot after hearing what it's actually about. Great tune.

 Fashion Week - Scars



I had a fun time hanging out with these guys and they're another that I can't wait to hear drop a new record next year. If their last show was any indication, the future is bright for these fellas.


Mary Lynn - Space



Watching the diminutive Mary Lynn sing, you have no idea where this amazing voice comes from. This song is so fantastically lo-fi and indie and CATCHY that you can't help but love it.







I am so seriously happy to have local music back in my life after a long hiatus. I'm looking forward to more great music and musicians to meet in 2018!



No comments:

Post a Comment