Sunday, December 11, 2016

The 2016 Jester One Music Top 20 Countdown - #10

#10 - Miike Snow - Genghis Khan


It seems that we're following a familiar story arc here in the 2016 Countdown. Familiar bands from the past coming back with great new songs! As much as I love discovering new artists, it's always nice to find out that the bands I used to love are still plugging away and making great music. Miike Snow are a Swedish synth-pop trio that jumped out to big success in 2009 with their debut self-titled disc, containing hits "Black and Blue", "Animal", and "Song For No One". Their follow-up in 2012 received much critical success but was not terribly favorable for my ears. I figured the guys were just another one and done indie outfit, but they bounced back with their third album, aptly titled "iii". Other solid tracks include "My Trigger" and "Back of the Car".



"Genghis Khan" was the biggest charting single off of the album, rising to #7 on the US Alternative chart. It's a fun and bouncy track telling a tale of a jealous lover who refuses to give up on their love. The chorus line "I don't want you to get it on with nobody else but me" tells all of the tale that you need to know. The video is probably my favorite from 2016 and featured a James Bond-esque story telling where a spy breaks into an evil villain's lair only to be captured. He is later freed but years to return to the "love" he found with the captor, much to the chagrin of his wife. There is loads of great dancing in the video and lip-syncing to the song.







Title: Genghis Khan
Artist: Miike Snow
Album: iii







Previous #10s

2015: The Wombats - Give Me A Try
2014: Cut Copy - We Are Explorers
2013: The 1975 - The City
2012: Animal Kingdom - Strange Attractor
2011: FM Static - F.M.S.T.A.T.I.C
2010: Muse - Resistance
2009: Five Finger Death Punch - Bad Company

1 comment:

  1. Ha, I do love this video. I had this song stuck in my head all the time this year.

    ReplyDelete