Saturday, January 18, 2014

A flair for the '80s

Inevitably, it happens every year. I'll hear an old '80s jam, and I will proceed to listen to it non-stop for months. Of course, now that we have the Jester One Music blog, I feel the need to share the ones that I am currently rocking out with.


Heart - Alone




Ann Wilson is probably my all-time favorite female rock voice. It's a shame how they played her in this video (as she had gained a lot of weight but still looked fantastic). I saw a live video of her doing this song a few years back and she still has the pipes to hit her ridiculous notes. Plus, all of that '80s hair! Love.




Asia - Heat of the Moment



There are few songs that perfectly capture the anthem-rock sound of "Heat of the Moment". Asia was another ho-hum "supergroup" that spawned a huge hit and several albums. This song is timeless.





The Cars - Magic





The Cars are one of my all-time favorite groups, so it's no surprise to find them constantly in my head and on my mp3 player. "Heartbeat City" is my favorite album by them after their self-titled debut. Ric Ocasek is unquestionably the man.






Mojo Nixon and Skid Roper - Elvis is Everywhere





It's hard to imagine "alternative" music without Mojo Nixon and Skid Roper. Ridiculous. Love it.





Mr. Mister - Kyrie




Speaking of gigantic, echoing rock anthems, how about a little Mr. Mister? The band may be better known for their sappy super-hit "Broken Wings", but Kyrie is about as good as it gets for me. Richard Page has a tremendous vocal range, and he's another great bassist/lead singer.

No comments:

Post a Comment