Saturday, November 16, 2019

October Recap

I worked most of the days in October, which was unfortunate for music's sake. For my bank account, well, it was a little better. Only 1599 scrobbles total, an average of 51 per day. 4 days and 12 hours worth of music in a month. That breaks the low from back in August of 1604. 1208 songs from 661 artists... a surprisingly low 1.828 scrobbles per meant there was a lot of either new or singular focuses going this month. Top Genres - Rock, Alternative, Alternative Rock, Pop and Synthpop. Top 3 hours were 11a-12p, 10a-11a (don't ask me how that one got there) and 11p-12a.


Top Tracks for October

t10. VNV Nation - Only Satellites
t10. VNV Nation - Armour

Appropriately, these two are kicking the can til the end. Only one will end up in the Top 20 - stay tuned!

9. Truslow - Vacation
It snowed the last day of October, and so this song crept back into my peripherals.

8. The Broken Relics - Where The Creatures Roam
As we reach the end of the year, I tend to splurge on what songs made said year great.

7. The Benjamin Gate - How Long
Coming up on the 1 year anniversary of Pastor Simon's death, the playlist I made at that time is getting some heavy rotation.

6. Pale Grey Lore - The Rift
Another fantastic local album review spawned another song to stick in my cranium.

5. Misfits - Dig Up Her Bones
I wondered if a Halloween song would make it into the October list. I was trying to find new spooky tracks this year, but several of the old guard kept their place.

4. Cold - Shine
The more I listen to this record, the more I'm sure that this is absolutely my favorite off of it.

3. Bloody Hammers - From Beyond The Grave
Speaking of spooky, Bloody Hammers made a resurgence for Halloween season.

2. Dan Hartman - I Can Dream About You
It seems like every month or so there'll be an oldie that latches on with me and becomes the focus. I can't tell you why it was this one, or where it even came from. Probably work.

1. Smith & Thell - Forgive Me Friend
The train keeps rolling for the Swedish duo. With the Top 20 coming up next month, it will be interesting to see where they finish



Top Artists for October

10. Slipknot
Gave the new record another spin. Still don't love it, but I appreciate it more with each listen.


9. Blindside
Something inside of me told me I needed to revisit older Blindside releases with Gravedigger being the new and with (I assume) a new record on the horizon.

8. Assemblage 23
I call my daily listening "This year, the trend" after the Relient K song. For Assemblage 23, it could be called "This life, the normal". Or something? lol

7. Voltaire
Wouldn't be spooky season without AV.

6. Korn
Bold opinion - I like the new Korn record more than the new Slipknot. Never thought I'd say that.

5. ElectroCult Circus
First album I reviewed for the month. It's wild, wacky, and thoroughly enjoyable.

4. Pale Grey Lore
Less tracks, but more punch than the ECC disc. Still, a solid solid month for new local releases.

3. Cold
I honestly might have to put Cold on the shelf for a while once this year ends. I'm still slightly upset that their show down here was cancelled, and some of their stuff is rubbing me in a weird direction.

2. VNV Nation
Spoiler alert - I think Noire has all but locked up album of the year.

1. Staind
My best friend made a comment about Staind's older releases, and I had to go down a journey of what I loved the most about the band. Because of what they became, I don't listen to them as much as I used to (same as Korn), but their older stuff is still top



Alright friends, listen up. There will not be a November recap, and I'm up in the air for a December recap. All end of the year focus will be on the Top 20 Countdown. This is year eleven and I'm super excited at how strange it is shaping up to be. I still plan on doing Top 30 Songs and Top 25 Artists at the end, and perhaps a new Christmas feature. We'll see where things go from there.

This has been a fun monthly concept, and I'm super grateful for the folks over at Last.FM for making it possible. Being able to track what I listen to on a daily basis has been quite thrilling, and I honestly wish that I had been doing it for longer than 2+ years.

No comments:

Post a Comment