Monday, January 10, 2022

Jester One 2021 - 30 Most Played

2021, the return of life as a somewhat normal concept... except for the last two months, and the mid-year surgery switch-up. Actually, there was nothing normal about this year at all, but the newer music was definitely on a better level. With that being said, let's jump right into the numbers.

2021 saw 32,752 individual scrobbles come from 13,778 songs, meaning each song averaged 2.377 streams each. I know, that doesn't equate to anything because 5088 of them had at least 2, so the other 8690 had just one. Imagine that, listening to 8690 songs just once and never even knowing. Lol. 

Each song back to back would also equal 97 days, 12 hours and change, and I played on average 90 songs per day. That of course doesn't include what I hear on the radio or what was playing in places that I went... this is just the stuff that came directly from me. Wildness.

Let's do this.

 

Key: #TY. Artist - Song (Last year's ranking)

 

30. '68 - Bad Bite (new)

The first of many new songs, Bad Bite ended the year at #7 on the Top 20 Countdown, coming in like a storm and carrying me through the year with handclaps and a call of "yeah yeah yeah yeah". 


29. Romy - Lifetime (new)

Lifetime finished the year at #12 on the Countdown, but it started the year making me wonder if it wasn't destined to be the top dog. This is one of those songs that burns hard and fast, and then fades away, only to be remembered in fondness for its brief run.


28. Five for Fighting - Superman (NR)

In times of sadness and great self-loathing, Superman always finds its place. It's a karaoke favorite as well, and even with the lack of karaoke it snuck up on this year as I struggled through the early months of winter.

 

27. Gerry & the Pacemakers - Ferry Cross the Mersey (NR)

This song was a favorite from my boss at my last job, and it translated perfectly into an atmosphere where I played oldies all day. It really is a wonderful and pleasant song that is fun to sing along without being overly energetic.  


26. Echo Image - Walk My Mind (new)

Similar to Romy and Lifetime, this song jumped out to a quick start when released and waned over the year. I don't think this one will disappear, since I fully expect a new Echo Image release in 2022.


25. Alvvays - In Undertow (7)

This song makes me happy, sad, and everything in between. It's a mood song for all moods, and so it returns for a third consecutive year to the Most Played. I wonder where it would have landed in the Top 20 Countdown if I had known about it at the time.

 

24. VNV Nation - Only Satellites (9)

3 years since its release, Only Satellites continues to eat up plays. VNV Nation upended Cold last year to take the top spot on the Top 25 Artists list, and we'll see if they can regain that spot again tomorrow.

 

23. OOMPH! - Tausend neue Lügen (NR) 

OOMPH! was a wonderful revelation last year, after being a band I occasionally listened to for several years. Honestly, it was Tausend neue Lugen (and Wahrheit Oder Pflicht, the album it was from)  that really got me hooked into them. They have new music in the works for '22, although it might be with a new singer.

 

22. Meryl Creep - Spiraling (new)

The downside for a band as new as Meryl Creep is that they only have 3 songs streaming. But man, they are some bombs. You probably won't see them on the most played artists because of that, but this is an absolute JAM and I expect more big things from them in 2022.

 

21. Kim Carnes - Bette Davis Eyes (5)

Can't knock this one out, since that synth line is as good today as it was when the song was released 40 years ago. There's a reason why it was the 2nd biggest hit of the entire decade.

 

20. Assemblage 23 - Factory (new)

The question coming into 2021 was which song off of the new A23 record (Mourn) would latch with me. As it stands, 3 of the top 4 songs from the year were from the album, with Factory leading the way ahead of Dissonance and Could've. I'm fairly sure that A23 will be one of the top artists this year because of that record.

 

19. Apoptygma Berzerk - Kathy's Song (Victoria Mix by VNV Nation) (NR)

After being just outside the last 3 years, I found a renewed appreciation for Apop this spring and it catapulted their ultimate track to the #19 spot this year. It really is a majestic bop, and worth every second even at 7:42.

 

18. Smokey Robinson and the Miracles - The Tracks of My Tears (27)

Any time someone compliments me as a singer, I tell them that I only wish I could be as good as Smokey. He had a handful that are in rotation for me, but nothing tops the lyrical masterpiece of this one.

 

17. Gang of Youths - The Angel of 8th Ave. (new)

 The speed that this song gained steam over the summer was somewhat startling (okay, enough alliteration), propelling it to the #6 position in the Top 20 Countdown. I'm really excited to see where Gang of Youths goes from here, especially since I didn't even know about them before this spring.

 

16. Assemblage 23 - Endure (23)

The top A23 track of the year is once again Endure, the only instrumental offering in the most played list. In fact, it probably has at least 3 times as many scrobbles as the next most played instrumental. That's just not my style of music, but this one helps build me up when I need it most.

 

15. Wings - Band on the Run (NR)

Such a ridiculous mesh of two songs - I don't know what gave Paul McCartney the idea, but the lead guitar riffs and orchestral pieces are just incredible together.

 

14. Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World (14)

Ah, nice of somebody to end up at the same place they did before, with just 3 less streams than in '20. Three years running this song has been one of the biggest dawgs, and I don't see it slowing down any time soon.

 

13. Nightbirde - It's OK (NR)

This song came on hard at the end of 2020 and carried that momentum all the way up the list this year. Nightbirde blew up this summer on America's Got Talent and was poised to win the entire thing before cancer treatmens derailed another year for her. I don't love her writing style, or particularly her voice, but this song speaks to my heart and soul.

 

12. Manchester Orchestra - Bed Head (new)

The best M/O song I've ever heard would come from their most boring record ever, wouldn't it? Almost seems ridiculous, but this entire song pulses through me any time I hear it. I love songs about ghosts and things of that ilk.

 

11. Fleetwood Mac - Say You Love Me (NR)

I honestly thought this song would be higher up on the year end list, but 11 isn't too shabby. Fleetwood Mac is always an intriguing one for me, because I love Christine McVie but can't stand Stevie Nicks. Take that for what you will, but the harmony on this song is next level. 

 

10. Acceptance - At The Edge of The Earth (new)

Band I don't care for? Check. Album with not a whole lot to offer? Check. #3 on the year end list? Obviously. Lol. What a ridiculous set of circumstances. I spent more time singing this song than I did listening to it, I think.

 

9. A Tiger Made of Lightning - Little Birds (new)

Talk about a bingeworthy song - it seems like any time I'd listen to it once, I'd have to listen to it twice more. #4 on the year end Countdown. Like Meryl Creep, I am super excited for future ATMoL recordings.

 

8. The Birthday Massacre - The Neverending Story (new)

Unlike the two before it, I never really binged on this song, it just kept coming up in playlists and I just kept playing it. #11 on the Top 20, it's worth nothing that I don't even care for the original version of this song.

 

7. VNV Nation - The Farthest Star (17)

Another year, and another strong showing for The Farthest Star. 7, 9, 17, 7. That's quite a 4 year run for a song.


6. Eagles - Take It Easy (NR)

I felt like I listened to this one a similar amount to last year, but in looking back it was T98 in '20. For as much as I listen to Eagles, I figured they'd be somewhere on a list in the past 4 years, but this was the first.

 

5. Teenage Wrist - The Earth is a Black Hole (new)

The first TW song to capture my fascination, I almost thought this was going to be on the year end Countdown. But another took its spot.

 

4. Cold - Cure My Tragedy (NR)

Cure My Tragedy is usually the top streamed Cold song, and as the band resumed touring this year I was splurging on their previous recordings year round. #4 is a helluva jump, but this song finished several streams behind the next.

 

3. The Struts - Another Hit of Showmanship (ft Albert Hammond Jr.) (new)

The summer jam of jams, with a beautiful opening riff and deceptively depressing lyrics. By the end of the year I knew this was going to be the runner up in the Top 20 Countdown, but I was still waiting to see where it ended on Most Played.

 

2. Tom Petty - I Won't Back Down (1)

After running away with the '20 Most Played, IWBD almost eked out a second consecutive championship, and is already getting plays in the new year. It's just unstoppable at this point in my life.  

 

1. Teenage Wrist - Taste of Gasoline (new)

As the year progressed, this song continued to gain momentum before dominating the last few months of 2021. The fact that I essentially stopped listening to other TW songs because I loved this one so much speaks volumes to its dominance. It's an amazing track and takes home of the double of Most Played and crown spot on the Top 20.




There were 13 new songs and 9 that were not ranked last year, which means 22 new songs on the list from last year. Here are those that didn't make


Key: LY. Artist - Title (TY)

30. Eddie Cochrane - Summertime Blues (38)
29. TRVSS - All The Bugs (live) (T182)
28. The Broken Relics - Where The Creatures Roam (T80)
26. Forever Unknown - Bury Me (T1601)
25. Wilson Phillips - Hold On (T182)
24. When in Rome - The Promise (T247)
22. The Wild Wild - Alright (T182)
21. Sixpence None The Richer - Sister, Mother (T348)
20. Roxette - Silver Blue (T410)
19. Gin Blossoms - Hey Jealousy (T52)
18. Ghost - Dance Macabre (T182)
16. VNV Nation - Carry You (T290)
15. Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - Learning To Fly (T135)
13. Empathy Test - Monsters (T182)
12. Crowded House - Something So Strong (T52)
11. White Reaper - Real Long Time (T2128)
10. King Princess - Ohio (T641)
8. Mesh - The Last One Standing (T72)
6. Depeche Mode - Precious (T348)
4. Evanescence - Everywhere (T182)
3. Purity Ring - Stardew (T1601)
2. Lilieae - Level (T3037)

More often than not, it's the new songs that fall the furthest, as you can see with Purity Ring and Lilieae. Mesh falls out after 4 straight years of hanging around the top, while Crowded House in Gin Blossoms continued to stay within the top 100. Sometimes they hang around, but more often than not they're just a part of the history of the year and need some time to be remembered properly. 


A huge massive thanks to the good folks at Last.FM for allowing me to keep track of these and edit/splurge the numbers as needed. Tomorrow I will post the Top 25 Artists of 2021!

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment