Thursday, December 23, 2021

The 2021 Jester One Music Top 20 Countdown - #5-1

  Note - instead of doing the usual blurb and song per day, I'm just going to post a paragraph about each song, 5 per day. We've reached the final day, with the top 5 hits coming in hot.



#5. Meryl Creep - Spiraling
Album: Drift EP
Favorite line: "I can't remember how I got to this place - now I shave in the dark cause I hate looking at my face"


Maybe I haven't spent all year telling you about how much I LOVE Meryl Creep, but here's a reminder. Shoegaze vibes forever, and tremendous lyrics to boot. Also, talk about the low-budget music video of the year. 



 

#4. A Tiger Made of Lightning - Little Birds
Album: It's Chaos, Be Kind
Favorite line: "I need to take in everything and pay attention to these moments and cement them in my brain"


I literally cried the first time I heard this song. I know a local song finished at #1 last year, but this is the most beautiful local song I've heard in years.



#3. Acceptance - At the Edge of the Earth
Album: Wild, Free
Favorite line: "Suddenly, it comes to me, when we meet in the fields at the edge of the earth"

I probably listened to this song 25-30 times before I even paid much attention to the lyrics. The CHORUS on this song is so preposterous. I'd just be walking around going "WHEN WE MEET IN THE FIELDS AT THE EDGE OF THE EARTH". 

Another weird one, as I don't care for the band and didn't like the album.



#2. The Struts - Another Hit of Showmanship (ft Albert Hammond Jr)
Album: Strange Days
Favorite line: "it gets me and the night never ends, but it's getting harder to mend"


Fun album, fun song, and the addition of Albert Hammond Jr. really kicks this song up a notch. The world needs more bands like The Struts, just out there embodying the rock'n'roll attitude in the 2020s.





#1. Teenage Wrist - Taste of Gasoline
Album: Earth is a Black Hole
Favorite line: "We all still feel the same, and we live in sleep for days. We love the things we know will leave the taste of gasoline"


As if there was any doubt... if you knew me for more than 5 minutes this year, you knew the inevitability of this being the #1 song. Actually, the title track is what took off first for me, but damn if I wasn't screaming THE TASTE OF GASOLINE the entirety of the 2nd half of the year.



Another Countdown in the books... after 13 years, it figures I'd finally hit a big hiccup. We'll see how next year goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment