Monday, December 20, 2021

The 2021 Jester One Music Top 20 Countdown - #20-16

 Note - instead of doing the usual blurb and song per day, I'm just going to post a paragraph about each song, 5 per day. 


#20. Grabbitz - Pigs in the Sky
Album: Pigs in the Sky single
Favorite line: "What if all the songs you never thought you would sing start coming out?"

The opening bassline on this song slapped me in the face the first time I heard it, and I ended up hearing it both on my way to work and on the way home that day. It stuck with me from there on out.




#19. Royal Blood - Typhoons
Album: Typhoons
Favorite line: "All these chemicals dancing through my veins, they don't kill the cause, they just numb the pain"

I really want to like Royal Blood but gosh, they're predictable. Every song builds around similar chords, but every album has a single or two that slap hard.



#18. Daymare - Control
Album: Everything is Fine EP
Favorite line: "I won't lie, everything's fine, everything's just so fuckin' perfect"

First of many local jams on the countdown this year - I think local bands are working harder at making better music videos than regional and national acts. I've known lead singer/guitarist Dustin Rinehart for almost two decades and he just keeps making solid music.



#17. Porter Robinson - Look at the Sky
Album: Nurture
Favorite line: "Look at the sky, I'm still here. I'll be alive next year"

This video is INTENSE. I still don't know why this song stuck in my ear other than the uplifting chorus. I couldn't get into the album and I must've skipped this song a dozen times when it came up in playlists. It's very much a mood song, but it makes for very good moods.




#16. PEABOD - Love Everybody (ft Tedashii)
Album: Growing Up Pt 1
Favorite line: "Scribble 'big grin winner' on my name tag, faking out the negativity with zigzags"

PEABOD is probably my favorite thing that I discovered last year. What a fun artist. His videos are fun, his music is enjoyable and the content is relatable. 

 

 



#15-11 tomorrow - stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment