Wednesday, December 22, 2021

The 2021 Jester One Music Top 20 Countdown - #10-6

  Note - instead of doing the usual blurb and song per day, I'm just going to post a paragraph about each song, 5 per day. 



#10. Echo Image - Walk My Mind
Album: Walk My Mind single
Favorite line: "rethinking what we could have been, a feeling that we never had a chance to finish our last dance that time"


I just don't know how you can go on a 20 year hiatus and return with a song that SLAMS SO HARD. What a song. Wow. I'm excited to see what comes next for Echo Image.

It's only hammers from here on out - 10 songs that at one point could've landed at #1.



#9. Assemblage 23 - Factory
Album: Mourn
Favorite line: "We do a great disservice to our young, and feign surprise at what one day they become. We reap a consequence we don't intend - we build a factory for broken men"


I don't think there was any doubt that there'd be an A23 song on this Countdown when this album dropped, but holy smokes I didn't realize how good this album would be. This song is an homage to my childhood, serious. Tom Shear writes songs about my life and it boggles my mind every time.



#8. Manchester Orchestra - Bed Head
Album: A Million Masks Of God
Favorite line: "Oh my god, let me extinguish the habit, the sequence, the loss, in my mind - now I believe in the ghost"


One of the best songs of the year, lyrically. The concept of writing about spirits haunting us in our daily lives is one of my favorite lyrical topics, and, cheesy music video aside, this song is almost perfection.





#7. '68 - Bad Bite
Album: Give One Take One
Favorite line: "we're just bones and teeth"


The most fun song of 2021, no doubt. What a wild and awesome video, too. Josh Scogin is the truth, and this album is phenomenal. I got a lot of weird looks quoting this song throughout the year.



#6. Gang of Youngs - the angel of 8th ave.
Album: the angel of 8th ave. single
Favorite line: "God, it was state of the art - you called each of my sorrows by name. And a tide of tender mercies - shook my body from the grave"


Lyrically, this is the best song I've heard in the last two years. I'm so mad that I had never heard of this song before our Godify series at church. So, thank you David for turning me onto this. I look forward to following this band in the future.



No's 5-1 tomorrow. Stay tuned for the finale of The Jester One Music 2021 Top 20 Countdown!

No comments:

Post a Comment