Tuesday, December 21, 2021

The 2021 Jester One Music Top 20 Countdown - #15-11

 Note - instead of doing the usual blurb and song per day, I'm just going to post a paragraph about each song, 5 per day. 



#15. AFI - Begging for Trouble
Album: Bodies
Favorite line: "Don’t take tears in your dress seriously. Don’t take wounds in my chest seriously"


This is the best AFI album probably since Sing the Sorrow. All bops. I liked their last album but most bands from my high school years just don't recapture their glory 15+ years later. This album defies that and cements Davey Havok as one of my all-time favorite musicians.



#14. beabadoobee - Last Day On Earth
Album: Our Extended Play EP
Favorite line: "and if it all goes wrong, and it looks like we'll soon be gone, we should all just get along, and sing a song I wrote..."


Shoop doo doo, shoop do be dooby doo... every year there's a wacky song like this that makes it. Like Sigrid in 2019 and Superorganism in 2017, there's always a song that surprises the heck out of me. A band that I'll probably never peep again outside of the song.



#13. The Dirty Nil - Blunt Force Concussion
Album: Fuck Art
Favorite line: "gimme one half dozen blunt force concussions, crack my head in two. Just don't put me through saying I love you"


This is the best '90s song I ever heard in 2021. Also, what an atrocious album. I hate it when that happens.





#12. Romy - Lifetime
Album: Lifetime single
Favorite line: "oh, this is a high that I can't get from nobody else"


If you ever wondered what The xx would sound like if they weren't utterly dull, here you go. This was one of those songs that came out early and I thought would carry throughout the year.





#11. The Birthday Massacre - The NeverEnding Story
Album: The NeverEnding Story single
Favorite line: "Rhymes that keep their secrets will unfold behind the clouds. And there upon a rainbow is the answer to a neverending story"

I don't even like the original version of this song, that's how great of a cover it is. You will never extinguish my love for Chibi, and TBM just make solid music album after album.



#10-6 come tomorrow - stay tuned!


No comments:

Post a Comment