Saturday, December 19, 2015

The 2015 Jester One Music Top 20 Countdown - #2

#2 - Andrew McMahon in the Wilderness - Cecilia and the Satellite







Everything that Andrew McMahon has ever done has centered around his piano. Be it the pop-punk stylings of Something Corporate, the emo feel of Jack's Mannequin, or his newly formed solo project Andrew McMahon in the Wilderness, McMahon hasn't gone far without his 88 keys. The Wilderness project has all but abandoned any sort of punk attitude and has focused on the man himself. Unfortunately, McMahon himself stands for everything I've been against most of my life, and I probably would not have even listened to the album if not for the lead single. I'm glad I did, as "Canyon Moon" and "High Dive" are pretty songs. It's an entire album of pretty piano songs, and not nearly as whiny as I thought it would be. The album ended up landing at #21 on the Billboard charts and all the way up to #3 on the Independent album list.

But there really is only one song that stands out, and boy does it ever.  I remember driving home and hearing the song start on one the "X" alternative station we have here in Columbus. I remember thinking the opening line was a little gimmicky and I was about to change the channel when the line "for all the things my eyes have seen, the best by far is you" hit me. Being a man not immune to clever love songs, I persevered and was hit with what is by far the most beautiful vocal harmony that I've heard in years. The song was stuck in my head all night and I had to figure out just what I had heard. But it wasn't for another week or two before I heard it again and found what I was dealing with. It's a beautiful song. Absolutely gorgeous. Not a song that I sung more in 2015.  It's odd to say "here's an artist I dislike, but what a beautiful song!" But here we are! The video features Albanian model Anastasia Krivosheeva dancing around in a literal wilderness.

The penultimate spot in our countdown has often held heavy metal acts from bands who I adore (Meshuggah, ABR, Periphery). Of course in 2011 we had Owl City, and last year a second showing from the now defunct Morning Parade. But in a year of love songs, this one stood out the brightest and earned itself a spot at #2. And it was a great battle for #1, but I guess you'll have to wait until tomorrow to hear about that.













Title: Cecilia and the Satellite
Artist: Andrew McMahon in the Wilderness
Album: Andrew McMahon in the Wilderness


Previous #2s
2014: Morning Parade - Alienation
2013: Aeon Zen - Warning
2012: Meshuggah - Do Not Look Down
2011: Owl City - Galaxies
2010: Periphery - Icarus Lives!
2009: August Burns Red - Rationalist

No comments:

Post a Comment