Monday, July 19, 2021

March 2021 Recap

 March marked a severe fall-off, as I spent less time playing music at work. Only 2032 scrobbles, averaging 66 per day. That's the least I've scrobbled in a month in over 2 years. 

Top genre was Futurepop, unseating Rock's reign of the last 3 months. Synthpop, EBM, Rock and Electronic filled out the top 5. Top hours were 9pm, 10pm and surprisingly 3pm, which is usually a rather docile hour. 

Exactly 1600 tracks played by 764 artists, averaging out at 2.094 per track. 40% new tracks from 18% new artists, which are rather high numbers considering I'm usually playing oldies and classic rock. 


Top Tracks for March

 

10. Demon Hunter - My Throat is an Open Grave

 The DH nostalgia was still pretty heavy for the month of March. I was chatting with a friend about the times we had seen them on tour and this song was anchored in my mind.


9. And One - Steine Sind Steine

I honestly think this track got me back on the EBM kick. It's a shame that so few of And One's records are on streaming platforms.


8. Tom Petty - I Won't Back Down

I think it's pretty clear that this song is going to repeat as #1 most played.


7. Teenage Wrist - Earth is a Black Hole

I'm genuinely upset that I had never heard about this band before hearing this song. The entire album has been on repeat for a while now.

 

6. Echo Image - Walk My Mind

Hard to believe that a band who has been dormant for 20 years had a song up their sleeve that was this good. Here's to more EI in 2021.

 

5. Apoptygma Berzerk - Kathy's Song (VNV Nation Remix)

Eternal.

 

4. Nightbirde - It's OK

This song continues to help me battle through difficult times as the pandemic wanes down.

 

3. VNV Nation - Illusion

2. Assemblage 23 - Endure

If EBM and Electronic music are the head genres, you can bet these two songs will always be there

 

1. And One - One And

 This album is tremendous and I'm disappointed that I had never listened to it before, either. Thank goodness for the internet.

 

Top Artists for March

 

10. mind.in.a.box

From time to time I really try to understand mind.in.a.box. The storyline is great, the music is solid, yet on every album there's only ever 1 or 2 songs that stand out, if any. I don't know what it is other than the vocals that would catch me.

 

9. Demon Hunter

 N o s t a l g i a. It's eternal in this pandemic where we cannot do anything

 

8. Assemblage 23

Where there's smoke, there's fire. I'll let you guess what artists are coming up next, lol.

 

7. Tom Petty

Surprise! I know, right? Tom sneaking in amongst all this dark music.

 

6. Neuroticfish

NF finally got their discography onto Spotify, and I've finally been able to dig in and DAMN they're good. I mean, I knew they were good, but they're better than I expected.

 

5. VNV Nation

Ok, that makes more sense. With A23 comes VNV. It's like a rule or something.

 

4. Circle of Dust

Long live electronic music. I'm not sure how COD snuck around all the EBM and Synthpop, but here we are.

 

3. And One

Finding the rest of And One's discography was a blessing - their S.T.O.P. album is a jam. 

 

2. Solar Fake

I can't say I love the new Solar Fake disc, which is highly surprising considering the last two were massive hits for me.

 

1. Apoptygma Berzerk

One day, I was just sitting out on the patio and I was like, you know what, I'm just gonna listen to everything AB has released. They had just put out a b-sides record and I needed more. It was a good couple of days going through all of that.

 


Thanks to Last.FM and The Universal Scrobbler.

No comments:

Post a Comment