Sunday, December 20, 2020

The 2020 Jester One Music Top 20 Countdown - #1

 #1. Lilieae - Level

Once again, we have reached the top spot in our Countdown. As luck would have it this year, we have another local entry, this time being Cleveland's Lilieae. This would be the third time in four years that a female-fronted act has topped the chart, and the second time it was a local group, with Morning Theft winning it all in 2017. Lilieae is certainly unlike any other top entrant in the 12 year history of the Countdown, with a hearty pop-punk flair and in-your-face attitude. I actually found them through the Promowest Local Discover channel on Spotify, which used to be updated quite regularly before the pandemic happened. Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to see the band live, but I did get to do an interview with them way back in April. The band put out their debut EP late last year, with four hard hitting songs capped by the title track. 

The band told me that they wanted to record an EP to introduce themselves to the world, and chose the 4 best songs they had written so far to do so.  It is definitely a solid list - from the emotion of "Drained, Drown" to the sheer aggression of "My Pretty Rainboots" and the full package of power in "Pound". Lead singer Lydia Puccini even told me that at the end of their set, she likes to go out into the crowd to mosh along. The band unfortunately hasn't been able to do a ton during the pandemic, but they said they have a full album worth of song that they've been tightening up, and I'm willing to bet it'll be out soon in 2021. After rocking out to this EP all of 2020, I know I'll be first in line to rock out with them live once they can play again.

"Level" is the opening track on the EP, and you're immediately greeted with Puccini's aggression and a jumping guitar riff that quickly re-arranges your eardrums. The song is about a difficult relationship and how the singer feels as though she has given more than the antagonist deserves, although she loves them just the same. The guitars drive the song through and through as Puccini continues her tale about wanting that difficult love. It's the type of song that I loved to listen to while out on a run, with speed and power coursing through my veins as I sang along. And sing did I ever! This song had the most scrobbles (via last.fm) of any other song on the Countdown, solidifying it's claim for the top spot. Not that I needed any further convincing; throughout most of the summer I was fairly sure this song would take the title. The battle between Purity Ring and White Reaper was strong, but there was one song that I just couldn't skip from the moment I found it until today.

So, here is the fun part. No video. Not even a Tunecore/Distrokid placeholder. I'm not even sure how you do that... so instead you get a Bandcamp player! And since I have the platform to say it, go out there and buy the single/EP! Support local music! If you want to stream on your chosen platform, you can click here as well.

And... that's it! The end! 20 up, 20 down. Another great year of music! I'll have a recap post up next week, and then at the beginning of the new we'll have our 2020 Year End Lists! Stay tuned!


Favorite Line: "I can't deal with inconsistency, I'm telling you it's killing me. I wanna reach the end of this, and all its fucked up specialness!"


 

 

Title: Level
Artist: Lilieae
Album: Level EP



Previous #1s
2019: VNV Nation - Only Satellites

2018: Florence + The Machine - Sky Full Of Song
2017: Morning Theft - Skeleton Twins
2016: DMA's - Lay Down
2015: Purity Ring - Heartsigh
2014: Cadets - A Drop In The Ocean
2013: Surfer Blood - Demon Dance
2012: Fun. - Some Nights
2011: Young The Giant - My Body
2010: Hockey - Song Away
2009: Morrissey - I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris

No comments:

Post a Comment