Thursday, December 17, 2020

The 2020 Jester One Music Top 20 Countdown - #4

 #4. Forever Unknown - Bury Me

When last we saw Forever Unknown, they had quickly achieved the #32 spot for my Top Local Songs of the Decade list. As I was writing the list, I pondered how much to weigh the recency bias in some of the songs, especially one that was literally released in November of 2019. But at the last two months of the year unfolded, I found myself playing the album (and specifically this track) over and over again. I can't remember the last time I put a single album on repeat like I had with Study Hall. That definitely carried into the first month or two of 2020 before things settled down. It is still one of my absolute favourite albums of the year, and like I said a few years back about fellow high school rockers Threat Level Midnight, I cannot wait for the chance to hear them record music in a more professional setting that can truly bring out their musical talents. Even with that being said, Study Hall  still has several tracks that were on heavy rotation for me this year, including "Wonder Emporium", "Six (acoustic)", and "Home".

The amazing thing about Forever Unknown is that the band is still exceptionally young. They were all in high school when the EP was released, showcasing skill and wit that was far beyond their combined years. When I sat down with them last November I was truly shocked at the grace and poise in which singer Micah Stromsoe-DeLorenzo and guitarist Jacob Hutmire answered the majority of the questions I threw at them. You might have thought they were veterans of the music scene, not a group of teenagers who might be more interested in what type of coffee they were ordering than what questions I asked. Stromsoe-Delorenzo in particular has given me several great quips about how she deals with anxiety in their music. That connection is easily found in "Bury Me".

The song is about wanting to put all of your energy and emotions into a singular thing, knowing that it might even destroy you in the end, but not caring because you love it so much. It could be a person or another type of passion, but the idea behind it is just the same. The opening line of "am I a dead man walking?" immediately spells things out in easily understood terms. The opening riff of the song is one of my favourites in the last several years, not just in 2020 alone. The bass jumps around, the drums push forward, and the song is equal parts foot-tapper and head-banger. I think the band might have had big plans for 2020, but they've since replaced two members and are looking ahead to next year to capitalize on their successful debut EP.

So the question that begs to be asked is - how did a song that was that big last year (and equally big this year) only end up at #4? I probably said aloud in January that there was no way anyone could ever catch this song, but as usual new music has its ways to captivate. I will say that I am pleased that this is the 5th consecutive year with a local artist in the top 5 (2016 had #4, '17 #1, '18 #3 and #4, and last year had The Broken Relics place runner up). Who will take the top 3 spots this year? Only one way to find out! Stay tuned!



Favorite Line: "Tell me that you love me, even if you never will, and always keep in mind that sometimes looks can kill"

 

(album version) 




(live performance)






Title: Bury Me
Artist: Forever Unknown

Album: Study Hall EP





Previous #4s
2019: VHS Collection - Sign

2018: Curse of Cassandra - Re-Bind (Retro Binding Mix)
2017: The Birthday Massacre - All of Nothing
2016: Graceful Closure - Choices
2015: Jason Derulo - Want To Want Me
2014: Eye of the Enemy - The Shift
2013: New Politics - a) Harlem; b) Goodbye Copenhagen
2012: Garbage - Beloved Freak
2011: Matt Nathanson - Kiss Quick
2010: The National - Bloodbuzz Ohio

2009: Alice in Chains - Check My Brain

No comments:

Post a Comment