Friday, December 4, 2020

The 2020 Jester One Music Top 20 Countdown - #17

 #17. Corduroy Brown - To My Younger Self

Finding Corduroy Brown was probably the happiest of happy accidents that could've happened musically to me in 2020.  Brown had submitted his song to a local page that was compiling a playlist for a local artist showcase they were doing at the beginning of the pandemic. The majority of the submissions were from local metal acts, and the majority were from bands I either already knew or weren't interested in. But "To My Younger Self" immediately caught my ear and I knew I had to reach out and chat with this gentleman. What I wasn't expecting was an hour and a half long Zoom call where we basically just talked about combating depression and other mental health topics. It was a fantastically serendipitous occasion that is one of my fondest memories of the year. You can find that interview here.

Brown told me that one of his biggest goals in writing was finding a way through difficult times. He said that all of the songs he's written for his upcoming record are "basically just me calling myself out on dumb things I've done". "To My Younger Self", as the title dictates, as a letter to the teenaged Brown, about not being sure but knowing that you can get through those times. Knowing that you're good for something in the future. It's a fun and upbeat song with bouncy guitars that is easy on the ears and makes your heart feel joyful. The chorus line of "I'm feeling satisfactory, like they made this feeling in a factory" is one of my absolute favourite lines of the entire year. All in all, it's just a song that always makes me feel great.


Favorite Line: "cuz I'm feeling satisfactory, like they made this feeling in a factory"





Title: To My Younger Self
Artist: Corduroy Brown
Album: To My Younger Self single


 Previous #17s
2019: SYML - Clean Eyes

2018: Superorganism - Everybody Wants To Be Famous
2017: Tinashe - Flame
2016: Trivium - Until The World Goes Cold

2015: Big Data - The Business of Emotion (ft White Sea)
2014: Foster The People - Coming of Age
2013: Sevendust - Decay
2012: Morning Parade - Headlights
2011: Lonely Island - Jack Sparrow (Ft Michael Bolton)
2010: Slash - Baby Can't Drive (ft Alice Cooper + Nicole Scherzinger)  

2009: DevilDriver - Another Night In London



No comments:

Post a Comment