Sunday, December 6, 2020

The 2020 Jester One Music Top 20 Countdown - #15

 #15. The Unlikely Candidates - High Low


I always find it interesting thinking about how many bands out there exist that I've never really listened to. Such is the case the The Unlikely Candidates, who scored a US Alternative #1 last year with their hit "Novocaine" and carried that success into 2020 with a stream of singles. As it stands, the Texas quintet have been putting out albums since 2013 and were even signed to Atlantic Records for a spell. The group is currently working on a full length record and have a solid alt-rock sound that the scene sorely needs. Plus, how great of a band name is that??

"High Low" is the ultimate earwig, with a sing-a-long chorus that is guaranteed to be stuck in your head. For the first uttering of "sometimes I get so high, get so low, where did all my good friends go?", you know you're in for a song about 2020. Aren't they all about how crazy this year is, anyways? The song has an easy chord progression and isn't full of unnecessary fluff. Just a good rock song about how life is crazy and we're all just trying to get through it. The video for the song features singer Kyle Morris acting out different parts of the song in a bedroom. The song has just over 2.1m streams on Spotify.

 

Favorite Line: "Billions of people, but there's no one like me. I'm left, I'm right, I'm out of my mind, I trust myself, but I don't know why..."






Title: High Low
Artist: The Unlikely Candidates
Album: High Low single


Previous 15s
2019: Syrian - We Are Stars

2018: Plushgun - Lukewarm
2017: Ex-Nihilo - Enemy
2016: Brian Fallon - A Wonderful Life
2015: Foo Fighters - Something from Nothing
2014: Five Iron Frenzy - I Am Jack's Smirking Revenge
2013: The Features - This Disorder
2012: A Plea for Purging - Heart of a Child
2011: Texas in July - Magnolia
2010: Day of Fire - Lately
2009: Silversun Pickups - It's Nice To Know You Work Alone

No comments:

Post a Comment