Friday, December 20, 2013

2013 Jester One Music Top 20 Countdown - #1

1 - Surfer Blood - Demon Dance




It's possible that the first time I heard our #1 track, I knew it was going to be #1. I just didn't know who the band was. I looked it up after hearing it a few times and was pleasantly surprised to find that it was Florida's Surfer Blood, who was graced my eardrums previously with 2009's hit single "Swim", a noise-pop, alt-rock gem on an album heavy with distortion. It was a huge surprise to find their 2013 effort, "Pythons" void of a lot of the distorted guitars and vocals. In fact, singer John Paul Pitts and co put together a wonderfully polished and clean disc that perfectly fits the indie-pop mold that many alt/rock bands are playing towards. I really didn't like their first album, "Astrocoast" but I found a few of the songs on "Pythons" to my liking, including "Gravity", "Prom Song", "Say Yes To Me" and of course 2013's #1, "Demon Dance".

If you can't figure out why it's #1 by listening to the first 7 seconds, then you really don't know what Jester rock is all about. It's a happy opening riff that leads into a fun song that explodes through a powerful chorus. It's a simple guitar and bass riff that percolates throughout the song and leaves you feeling all warm and fuzzy on the inside. I wish I could give it a better description but like many years previous, it's simply the song that made me the happiest day in and day out. I love the line "You and me are apples in trees, don't fall far from me". It's a great fun song all the way through.

The video is absolute nerd-rock. I had no idea that these guys were such nerders. The members find themself in interesting poses while Pitts is singing throughout the track. He's also flirting with the female protagonist of the video from the very beginning, and she seems to have it in for him as well. It's definitely strange, and I'm not entirely sure that it ties in with the song as much as other videos on the countdown. In the end, you find out that it was all just a strange dream, which is actually sometimes what the song itself feels like. Anyways, this song fits perfectly with previous #1's like "My Body" by Young the Giant and  "Song Away" by Hockey.





Title: Demon Dance
Artist: Surfer Blood
Album: Pythons

Previous #1s
2012: Fun. - Some Nights
2011: Young The Giant - My Body
2010: Hockey - Song Away
2009: Morrissey - I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris

No comments:

Post a Comment