Monday, December 2, 2013

2013 Jester One Music Top 20 Countdown - #19

19 - Relient K - PTL



I know, right?

Relient K, an Ohio group who peddled around in the Christian Punk underground before blowing up and being signed in 2004, have seemingly taken a step back in this album. The punk-rock has all but dissolved and it's been replaced with... well, this. In all honestly, I had all but written the band off after their last two albums, but "Collapsible Lung" is actually a well produced and well performed gem. Matt Thiessen is truly an expert in all things pop music, and PTL is just another gem off of this album. It tells the tale of a backward broken relationship that was failed before it began. It's a fun song to sing, especially if you enjoy falsetto vocals.

I don't believe PTL was on the list of singles, so there is no video made. Other standout tracks on "Collapsible Lung" include "If I Could Take You Home", "Lost Boy" and the lead single "Don't Blink". I don't really listen to a lot of mainstream pop/rock these days so I'm not sure if these guys are getting big spins in the Hot AC market, but they still resonate strong amongst the CCM crowd. Of course, I haven't seen these guys since they started touring for their second album in 2001. I'm hoping to see them when they play this month in Columbus.





Title: PTL
Artist: Relient K
Album: Collapsible Lung

Previous #19s
2012: Silversun Pickups - Bloody Mary (Nerve Endings)
2011: The Knux - Razorblade
2010: Demon Hunter - Collapsing (ft Bjorn Strid)
2009: Parachute - She Is Love

No comments:

Post a Comment