Sunday, December 15, 2013

2013 Jester One Music Top 20 Countdown - #6

6 - Tegan and Sara - Closer




Tegan and Sara Quin are identical twin sisters who have been pumping out albums together since 1999. I was never a big fan of theirs before hearing this year's #6 jam, "Closer". The track dropped at the end of 2012 and was one of my favorite songs through the entirety of the year. The fact that it's only #6 (and I know this is cliche) is solely because there were 5 incredible songs that made a bigger splash in 2013. But right now we're going to focus on the one that was my top track for several months of the year.

If you're going to ask me which one is Tegan and which one is Sara, I truthfully have no idea. Looks, voice, I really am clueless. I honestly hadn't invested much in the twins until I had heard this song. I wasn't a big fan of their voices, but the harmonies presented here are absolutely incredible. It helps that the song is absolutely 100% sexual energy with a driving bass beat with catchy keys and synths being thrown around. The video gives us the girls singing the song karaoke at a slumber party filled with makeup, dancing, kissing, balloons and underwear. It's another fun song with a totally fun video to go along with.

As far as albums go, "Heartthrob" is not my favorite of 2013. Maybe top 10 for me, but that is not to say that it is not a great album. From track 1 to 12, it is a well laid out work of indie-synth pop brilliance. The Quin sisters have found a method of musical genius and have rode it to the top of the alt/rock kingdom this year. Also, the girls are totally gorgeous even as they push into their thirties.




Title: Closer
Artist: Tegan and Sara
Album: Heartthrob

Previous #6s
2012:  Lamb of God - King Me
2011: Nine Lashes - Anthem of the Lonely
2010: Them Crooked Vultures - Mind Eraser, No Chaser
2009: Kelly Clarkson - Already Gone

No comments:

Post a Comment