Saturday, December 14, 2013

2013 Jester One Music Top 20 Countdown - #7

7 - Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr. - If You Didn't See Me (Then You Weren't On The Dance Floor)




And the award for the longest song title goes to... Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr.! Also, the award for the silliest band name and catchiest dance-pop track! I'd say I didn't even like this song the first 5 or 6 times I listened to it, but I picked up the EP realizing that it could be a really solid effort. The song starts slowly with a small banjo part before the synths kick in and the bass starts pumping. The official single starts with the keys and kicks straight into movement. I don't think I really started to love the song until I actually caught on to the lyrical content, which is essentially calling out cliquish clubbers who are more interested in fitting the scene. It's almost a 2013 "Gangnam Style", with the catchy keys to match it.

In the video, the band is seen being chased by two police officers in short shorts. The two band members have a chameleon effect as they blend into their surroundings every time the officers show up. The band finally arrives at "The Dancefloor" where the cops show up to catch them but are then swept into the rave scene. I think the thing I like the most about the song is the singers voice being chopped and looped around as the lead bead in the background. It's wildly catchy and is just a great song to sing and dance around with. But when I picked up the album I was afraid the band might end up like 2011's #9 track from The Limousines ("Internet Killed the Radio Star"). The songs are very similar, but fortunately DEJJ know how to put together a true indie-pop album. The single is probably the most upbeat track, but the strong vocal harmonies resonate throughout and DEJJ do a good job switching between fun poppy tracks and deep slow ballads. But the easy runaway hit is "If You Didn't See Me..."






Title: If You Didn't See Me (Then You Weren't On The Dancefloor)
Artist: Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr.
Album: The Speed Of Things

Previous #7s
2012: One Direction - What Makes You Beautiful
2011: The Airborne Toxic Event - All I Ever Wanted
2010: Iyaz - Replay
2009: This Ending - Machinery

No comments:

Post a Comment