Sunday, December 1, 2013

2013 Jester One Music Top 20 Countdown - #20

20 - Grouplove - Ways To Go

Grouplove has a fairly strong indie-pop formula. Bouncy songs, intriguing harmonies, and a lot of synths. They also have the male-female dynamic which is growing increasingly popular. The problem is that Christian (the male lead) has one of the most annoyingly whiny voices in the history of rock music, and Hannah (the female lead) has this gorgeous deep sultry voice that tickles my fancy. It's a problem, and it is never more prevalent with the hit "Ways To Go" I find myself rolling my eyes to get through the male leads, but the female verses are fantastic. All in all, the keys in this song make up for it, and it's one of the more intriguing videos of the year. I guess it's okay to make fun of Korean dictators by portraying them as children? Plus Hannah's skeleton costume... yowza.

I wasn't terribly sold on the album, and that makes two in a row for this LA-based group. They have a good formula that works for great singles, but it just doesn't pan out for an entire album, especially one that drags out for 16 tracks. The biggest dig on Grouplove that I have is that their sound does not translate well at ALL live. The live recordings I've heard of them have been downright disastrous... but, all in all, the more I listened to this song the more I liked it, so we'll see how I feel next time around.








Title: Ways To Go
Artist: Grouplove
Album: Spreading Rumours

Previous #20s
2012 - Reptar - Stuck in My Id
2011 - Avril Lavigne - What The Hell
2010 - Dark Tranquility - The Fatalist
2009 - Collective Soul - Staring Down



No comments:

Post a Comment