Friday, December 13, 2013

2013 Jester One Music Top 20 Countdown - #8

8 - Paper Route - Letting You Let Go



I say this every year at Countdown time, but there are always songs in life where you never forget the first time you heard the particular jam. For this song, I had just turned on the Radio U app for the first time to catch the Ten Most Wanted, and this was the first song they played. I was actually cleaning my house and stopped to come in and make sure I knew exactly what song was playing. "Letting You Let Go" drives home a heartfelt message of a damaged relationship where the female is unfaithful in the relationship. The singer tells the tale of wanting to stay, but knowing that the pain is not worth the end result.

The Paper Route album, "The Peace of Wild Things" was released in late 2012. It's a decent indie-rock/synth-pop piece, and some of the lyrics cut straight through the heart. As a whole, you'll never forget who you're listening to because of JT Daly's voice and the similar structure that most of the songs are built around. However, the band has toured with heavyweights like Switchfoot, Anberlin, Passion Pit and Imagine Dragons, and have built up a strong following in both the Christian and secular market. I have a feeling their next effort might propel them into a huge spotlight and I'm excited to see just how mature their music becomes. As far as "Letting You Let Go" goes, it definitely cut me down for some previous relationships and reminded me that my own faithfulness in my current relationship was definitely paramount. This is also the highest charting 88.7 song, and it matches the highest charter from last year. Interestingly it breaks a string of 3 straight rock/metal entries at #8.


 


Title: Letting You Let Go
Artist: Paper Route
Album: The Peace of Wild Things

Previous #8s
2012: Demon Hunter - Dead Flowers
2011: Emmure - Children of Cybertron
2010: 30 Seconds to Mars - Kings and Queens
2009: Jordin Sparks - Battlefield

No comments:

Post a Comment