Wednesday, December 18, 2019

The 2019 Jester One Music Top 20 Countdown - #3

#3. Smith & Thell - Forgive Me Friend (ft Swedish Jam Factory)


Following in the steps of duos like Matt and Kim, Tegan and Sara, and The Naked and Famous, Smith & Thell provided my summer with a much needed boost of excitement. The group is Maria Jane Smith and Victor Thell, who have wonderful harmonies and catchy pop music with folk influences. Unlike the previous duos, they are not a strictly electronic act, although our #3 song did involve a little extra production to kick it up a notch. It also features Swedish Jam Factory, which if you can believe it, is a tap-dancing duo (hence the extra percussion). The Telephone Wires EP is cute, with 4 catchy tunes that are upbeat and intriguing. I'm actually kind of disappointed that I had never listened to the group before this year, but I probably would have dismissed them as just another folk-pop act trying to sound like the rest.

As much as I enjoyed the EP, the band hasn't really done much for me in 2019 outside of this song. Perhaps it is a case of this being a song that was that big, but I'm not complaining. Apparently this song was a massive hit in Poland (of all places), landing at #1 and going gold in record sales. I didn't really hear it much outside of CD102.5's playlist for a few months, and then it was gone. The song did rack up 46.6M streams, which is probably the most that has ever come from a song that explicitly featured tap-dancing. 

As it happens, I was checking out our local alternative station's playlist and listening to each song, as where I was living I was unable to pull their radio signal. The jangly opening guitar of "Forgive Me Friend" immediately perked my ears, and the undeniable harmony of Smith & Thell's voices caught me off guard. There just aren't a whole lot of male/female duos doing it quite like that any more; splitting vocal duties fairly evenly.  The song tells of a relationship that is crumbly due to both ends being overly selfish. Neither side wants to let go or move on, and so they struggle through the conversation. It's surprisingly upbeat for what is essentially a breakup song. The video has the duo singing to each other while the dancers kick and tap away.  The memories I will take away from listening to this song over and over again this summer with forever be entrenched in my mind. It is truly a massive song, worthy of #1 in many other years.

That means that tomorrow's song is going to be even better. How is that even possible? AND there's one more after that! What a great year for music!!





Favorite Line: "cause in the end, I didn't want this to end. Can you forgive me friend, forgive my ugly heart?"






Title: Forgive Me Friend
Artist: Smith & Thell
Album:  Telephone Wires



Previous #3s
2018: Vesperteen - Medicine
2017: The Naked and Famous - Medicine
2016: POP ETC - What Am I Becoming?
2015: Slipknot - (A) Skeptic; (B) The Devil in I
2014: Future Islands - Seasons (Waiting On You)
2013: The Airborne Toxic Event - Timeless
2012: Walk the Moon - Anna Sun
2011: Matt and Kim - Good for Great
2010: Fear Factory - Final Exit
2009: Owl City - Fireflies

No comments:

Post a Comment