Sunday, December 23, 2018

2018 Jester One Christmas!

My feeling for Christmas haven't changed since the last time around, but I was feeling a new group of songs this time around.



Starting things off this year is my all-time favorite Christmas song, Tiffany's Christmas Tree by Irwin Icon. My wife is still a little perplexed that my favorite Christmas song is kind of a stalker song about a guy who delivers a Christmas tree to an unsuspecting woman who he felt a connection with. I just think it's a great fun song, lyrical theme aside. Video 

Amy Grant's version of Hark! the Herald Angels Sing is required listening every year for me. I just love how her voice sounds, and Hark! has always been one of my favorite carols. Video

My Christmas tastes always vary between the classic carols and the modern madness, which brings us to Do You Hear What I Hear? by Bing Crosby. Wouldn't be Christmas without the ol Binger, right?    Video

The first time I heard The Real Meaning Of Christmas by The Winans this year, I really felt moved emotionally. It reminded me of Pastor Simon, and of course listening to The Winans always puts me in a good place.  Video

Of course, Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer has come under fire this year for various reasons, including its theme of bullying. The movie seems more and more ridiculous with each passing year, but it was what it was at the time, and it's a classic for me. Bowling for Soup decided to put their own spin on the misfit song Rudolph and Hermey sing - We're A Couple of Misfits. It's a perfect song for a band like those guys.   Video


 Bing Crosby appears again with The Secret Of Christmas, which I feel is an ever-important message in the current world we live in.  Video

Of course it wouldn't be Christmas without Nat King Cole, either. Here's his rendition of the lovely Caroling, Caroling. Something about Christmas bells gets me going every year. Video

 I feel like Leona Lewis has a beautiful voice and can really hit the notes. The biggest downfall for her, IMO is that she seems to be trying to be a 2000s version of Whitney Houston. It just doesn't work. One More Sleep is a catchy, fun Christmas tune though - well worth the ridiculous amount of plays I've given it.  Video


Jim Brickman's version of The Gift is definitely my favorite version of the song, but something about how Peabo Bryson sings it in this version with the incomparable Roberta Flack really hit me this year.   Video

Relient K has two amazing Christmas CDs with both original and classic Christmas hits. In Like A Lion (Always Winter) is one that found new life for me, again with the passing of Pastor Simon. It's interesting how many things have found new life in such a tragic event.  Video

Great Big Sea are a group that get a lot of love from me around St Patrick's Day, so it was a pleasant surprise to find a "Christmas" song from them in Seven Joys Of Mary. They do a wonderful job on this traditional hit.  Video


I literally don't know anything about Mr. Little Jeans other than the fact that hearing Dear Santa at work for the last month has been an absolute treat. Not that I'm a big fan of songs asking (or, usually demanding) Santa for specific gifts, but this one hits the spot in 2018.   Video

I kept hearing Johnny Cash on the work muzak throughout this year and decided that I should see what his Christmas music is all about. I found a stirring version of The Christmas Guest, which is one of those songs that you just cannot skip once you get started.   Video

Diana Krall could sing me a page from the Yellow Pages and I'd just be melting all over it. What a voice. Her Christmas album was one of the most anticipated ones for me to revisit this year, including What Are You Doing New Years Eve? So so good.  Video

I love Nick Lachey's voice. I just do. 98 Degrees comes up enough times in my life because of it. This Gift is cheesy and corny but at least it's a song written specifically for Christmas, as opposed to a love song with the word Christmas added to it.   Video

Grace Potter & The Nocturnals always bring the fun wherever they go. It's nice to see the Krampus side of things on Naughty Naughty Children (Better Start Actin' Nice), as opposed to the present demanding world we live in.   Video

Another surprise ditty from the work muzak - Asher Angel giving a little dance groove to the holiday season with Snow Globe Wonderland. I suppose not all of those little Disney starts are intolerable.   Video

You knew I would have some Trans-Siberian Orchestra on here. Obviously everyone knows this song to the point where it's almost cliche for me to include it, but Christmas Eve/Sarajevo 12/24 really hits you good. There's a reason why they play it twice during their live sets.    Video

Aaand last but surely not least, my Christmas anthem, This Christmas (I'll Burn It To The Ground) by Set It Off. It's just not December til I hear this one. Lol.   Video



I hope you all have a great holiday!! Hit shuffle and enjoy!
-J1

No comments:

Post a Comment