Sunday, December 9, 2018

The 2018 Jester One Music Top 20 Countdown - #12

#12. Fashion Week - Tell Me Something


When I first met the guys from Fashion Week, they had just released their hit single "Scars" and were about to start working on new material. "Scars" just missed sneaking into the 2017 Countdown but I was sure that if new music was released in 2018, it would definitely make it in. The guys have done their part to establish a strong online presence and are well known for their energetic live act. They've also worked hard to set themselves apart from their local contemporaries in both sound and in the cohesiveness of their music.

I had the pleasure of seeing them live when they were still working out the kinks of "Tell Me Something". I could tell at that moment that I was witness to something musically special. It's a slower song by FW's standards, with a big thumpy bass-line taking the lead and driving the song forward. There are ethereal keys and guitars sprinkled throughout, but it is the lyrics of the song that really puncture you. The song deals with struggling through depression and trying to find a light at the end of the tunnel. At the end of the song, singer Jason Turner admits that "tell me it will be alright, cuz it's not tonight, no it's not tonight". The song found new meaning for me when my pastor and father figure died suddenly at age 45 last month. I'm pretty sure the two songs will be forever linked there for me, but in better news the band released their newest EP Mood this week, which means you might even see the guys in next years countdown! As for "Tell Me Something", it has amassed almost 11k streams on Spotify and has a video featuring a man walking around town at night with a photograph of someone he has lost in his hand.  Here's to more great rocking tunes from these fellas going forward.


Favorite line: "because I want to believe, and I want to be well, but my heart is sick, and I'm scared as hell"









Title: Tell Me Something
Artist: Fashion Week
Album: Tell Me Something single






Previous 12s

2017: Incubus - No Fun
2016: 3 Doors Down - The Broken
2015: Fear Factory - Expiration Date
2014: Walk the Moon - Shut Up And Dance
2013: Shining - I Won't Forget
2012: (tie) Florence and the Machine - What the Water Gave Me; Shake It Out
2011: Fitz and the Tantrums - Don't Gotta Work it Out
2010: Mumford and Sons - Little Lion Man
2009: Breathe Carolina - Show Me Yours

No comments:

Post a Comment