Saturday, December 1, 2018

The 2018 Jester One Music Top 20 Countdown - #20

#20. Ghost - Dance Macabre




Ghost is one of the more interesting bands in rock music these days. They created an image for themselves shrouded in mystery while making fairly solid rock'n'roll. For one reason or another, they skyrocketed to fame and have even won a Grammy award in 2016. For their newest record they continued their bizarre anti-Catholic outfits and brought out a new singer, this one nicknamed "Cardinal Copia". The singer has since been revealed to be Tobias Forge, formerly of Magna Carta Cartel. I had never really spent a lot of time listening to the group because their sudden vault in popularity made them so polarizing that I chose to ignore them. Foolish, I know. Lesson learned.



 My friend David told me I absolutely had to hear this new song from the group, and since I had enjoyed a few of their other singles I decided to give it a shot. Most of what I had heard in the past was good enough, not awful, but not really my style. The opening riff on "Dance Macabre" changed that, for sure. It's a catchy song about death and dying, with just the right amount of keys sprinkled into a poppy guitar-drum progression. The song features one of my favorite guitar solos of the year, but is also somewhat silly in how Forge pronounces "I just wanna be, wanna bewitchu...". All of that put together cemented the group in the 2018 Countdown. The video follows two gentlemen into a vampire party with bizarre dancing and costumes. Definitely the strangest video I saw this year. 19.5m streams on Spotify to its credit - I don't think the Ghost machine is slowing down any time soon.


Favorite line: "How could it end like this? There's a sting in the way you kiss me. Something within your eyes said it could be the last time..."









Title: Dance Macabre
Artist: Ghost
Album: Prequelle




Previous #20s
2017: Liam Gallagher - Wall of Glass
2016: Safemode - Hold On
2015: Florence and the Machine - Ship to Wreck
2014: I, The Breather - Swine:Cult (ft Ricky Armellino)
2013: Grouplove - Ways To Go
2012: Reptar - Stuck in My Id
2011: Avril Lavigne - What The Hell
2010: Dark Tranquility - The Fatalist
2009: Collective Soul - Staring Down

No comments:

Post a Comment