Monday, December 31, 2018

Music in Motion Columbus - 2018 Complete Article List (updated 12/31/18)

All of our work can be found at the Music in Motion - Columbus website.
These are my contributions. A few aren't ones that I specifically wrote, but contributed on.

  January
 - Unfortunately I spent most of January preparing for our yearly inventory at my day job. Stay tuned!


  February
The Music In Motion Columbus Birthday Bash 2018
What better way to cap off our first year as a music magazine than with a birthday show! Illogic, Lizard McGee (of Earwig fame), We Are The Movies, Orion and the Constellations, and Red Skylark played at the Big Room Bar at CD102.5. It was a wonderfully eclectic show with the pop-punk ferocity of We Are The Movies, straight-forward lyrics from Illogic, bluesy jazzy stylings of Orion and the Constellations, the "emotional butter" of Lizard McGee, and the 90s inspired rock sounds of Red Skylark.


Music In Motion Columbus Releases Compilation Album
What I believe to be our crowning achievement for our first year of operation, Rick slaved tirelessly on this project. 18 tracks, including 7 that were specifically recorded for the compilation, titled "The Fog That Surrounds Us". The album was released at our first birthday show.


Late Night Double Feature with Miller and The Hunks and The Turbos at The Shrunken Head – 2/17/18

In what ended up being a great show to kick off Year 2 of MiM for me, I got to hang out with some old friends and make new friends covering Miller and the Hunks again. My boys Courtney from Work were there as well. It's always a good night of music at the Shrunken Head. MATH had the crowd more pumped than any show I've been to in a while.

Stopping the Stigma with MAELSTRØM MAGNET
It took some work, but I was finally able to catch up with Mael and we talked over the course of a week and a few e-mails about anxiety, music, and what it's like to be a female musician. When I started writing this article, I honestly felt like I was kind of lost, but it ended up being one of my more favorite articles I've written.


   March
Full-Throttle Rock and Locked-in with Columbus' Henodus
My old friend Brandon introduced me to the guys from Henodus and we got together for maximum shenanigans! We talked about the origin of the band and their sucky future. His words, not mine... haha



  April
United in Concert: Autism Awareness Fundraiser – Henodus Rocks BRP
My friend Brandon and I talked about this show for a few months before he got all of the details hammered out. I knew that I had to do my part to help promote not only the show, but the importance of awareness towards issues surrounding the autism spectrum. Also, Henodus kicked ass.


  May
Jesse Clendenin Earns Promotion to Associate Editor of Music In Motion Columbus
Hello, it's me. We worked so hard in 2017 and against some odds we persevered. Year two got off to a slower start than we anticipated, but Rick and I are going to bang heads to make things bigger and better this year!

Review - Cairo Knife Fight at The Shrunken Head - 5/25/18
I took a vacation to celebrate 2 years of marriage to my beautiful wife mid-May and told Rick I'd be ready to get the ball rolling again after a couple of stagnant months. As fate would have it, my first day back I was called on to cover LA's Cairo Knife Fight. It ended up being a really cool night despite the low turnout.

Podcast The Cat Club Podcast Memorial Day All-Local Special 2018 – Episode 55
I got to head back to Casa Gethin to join Rick for another exciting podcast episode! He mistakenly states that I hadn't been on the podcast since last Memorial Day, forgetting out exciting shenanigans in Episode 24. This time around things were much more somber, but it was good to be back in studio for another round.


  June
Album Review – Threat Level Midnight Earn Passing Grade
This was an album that I had had my eyes on for several months before finally getting the chance to review it. I had asked Rick about it after it was released but everything lapsed between all the madness happening at work in January and February. Finally having the chance to sit down and give it a good spinning, I found myself more than excited for the potential this band shows.


REVIEW – DAYMARE Return With A Vengeance at The Spacebar – 6/9/18
I've known Dustin from Daymare for 13 years and even now he still surprises me sometimes with his musical gumption. I was grateful to have a chance to enjoy this show and to put some closure on our friend Malena's death. Also, this band is just fantastic.


The Raquels Want To Be A Little Different
I had been following The Raquels online after hearing a few of their singles on Spotify. I had no idea they'd be so cool to hang out with, but that's what this business is all about. They are about to embark on a major tour that might make or break them, and I'll definitely be rooting for them.

The Raquels Take Flight at Spacebar – 6/23/18
A quick turnaround is always nice on an interview, and as it happened the guys from The Raquels had one more Columbus show before heading out on their huge tour. What a great time!





 July
Buckle up for the Radio Free Conspiracy Theory
This one kind of got kicked around because Rick was busy working his jobs and I was busy moving. Once we were finally settled into our new place and had internet, I made sure to put the finishing touches on one of the more intriguing records I have reviewed.


 August


Threat Level Midnight Bids Farewell After Two Year Run
I was super sad to find out that my first opportunity to see TLM was going to be my last, but the band made the best of it. What a great show. I hope that some of them stick around Columbus and continue to make great music here in the 614!


ALBUM REVIEW – Letters of Transit Quickly Mesh with Release of Debut EP
In what ended up being my last piece for the year, I got the chance to listen to Letters of Transit's solid debut EP. I'm looking forward to big things from these guys going forward.


 stay tuned...

\\\\





That's all for now! Keep your eyes on the Music in Motion Columbus page for more great reviews and articles from myself, Rick, Susie, Jamie, Chase, Quinton, and our entire team! Support Local! 

No comments:

Post a Comment