Friday, December 19, 2014

The 2014 Jester One Music Top 20 Countdown - #2

#2 - Morning Parade - Alienation


Talkin' bout number two! In 4 of the 5 years that the countdown has run, the penultimate song on the countdown has been a massive metal anthem whose weight often carries it further than the ultimate alternative number one that follows. 2014 bucks that trend with the English alternative rock quartet Morning Parade, who first graced our countdown in 2012 with the #17 song "Headlights". Unfortunately, it seems that this may be their last time landing on the countdown as just earlier this week they announced that they were breaking up after only two albums. Not a bad way to go for a band, but unfortunately their album "Pure Adulterated Joy" followed most of the same formula as their 2012 self-titled debut did. The music is generally slow and the lyrics are generically dull. I don't not like the band, but on my first try I actually could not get through the album without being bored to sleep. Of the 20 albums that accompany their songs, this one was probably the one I hold in lowest regard.

But today, we are here to talk about "Alienation". I was driving to work in the morning early in the year when I first heard the song. I told myself that I needed to make sure to check CD101's playlist for that day to see if I could find what song that was that I heard. I could sense the potential and the power of the song, and as I was driving home it played again and the deejay announced that it was our old friends in Morning Parade. The song was initially released on an EP of the same name, and later on the album. So what is it about "Alienation" that makes it better than the 18 entries before it an the tens of thousands of songs that debuted in 2014? I honestly, truthfully do not have an answer to that question. The opening keys catch my interest, and Steve Sparrow's accent is worth a listen as well. Perhaps it is the clever lyrical play that the band employs and the simplistic message of the chorus. "Make angels in the snow, love a little more, live with no regrets for everything you do". "Everything you are, everything you were, everything you've been is not everything you'll be". It is definitely a strong lyrical showing from the band, who use a lot of cerebral imagery to get their message across. The video features the band performing with their instruments in an array of colors and artistic backdrops. It's actually a sort of mental trip filled with flashy colors and dark grays mixed with Sparrow's stand-still singing face.

For what it's worth, this song was carrying the #1 banner for the majority of the year. From beginning of the year to the very end, it was a powerful song that carried an explosive amount of airplay in my car and in my head. But... it's #2. Who will be #1? Does alternative rock reign supreme? Does metal finally clinch the title? Or will a different style make it's way to the top spot? Tune in tomorrow at 4pm EST to find out!









Title: Alienation
Artist: Morning Parade
Album: Pure Adulterated Joy


Previous #2s
2013: Aeon Zen - Warning
2012: Meshuggah - Do Not Look Down
2011: Owl City - Galaxies
2010: Periphery - Icarus Lives!
2009: August Burns Red - Rationalist

No comments:

Post a Comment