Monday, December 19, 2022

The 2022 Jester One Music Top 20 Countdown - #2

 #2. Rammstein - Lügen


Title: Lügen
Artist: Rammstein
Album: Zeit


Three times Rammstein has released an album since the inception of J1, and all 3 have landed on the Top 20. "Frühling in Paris" hit #18 in 2010, while "Radio" climbed all the way to #6 back in '19. As much as I'd like to believe that my favorite artists will always be represented in a Countdown that I solely curate, that has not always been the case. For instance, Anberlin (one of my all time favorite artists) had released 3 albums and an EP since 2009 and none of them have landed here. It is what it is, and it was with much trepidation that I journeyed into a 2nd new Rammstein album in 3 years after going almost a decade without. The group has been doing it for almost 30 years... did they have another masterpiece in them?

Oh, you better believe it. From the opening track ("Armee der Tristen") to the sentimental closer "Adieu", this album is 10 bops and one track that is just OK. The first time I listened to the record, I was texting back and forth with my friend Frankie, lead singer of our local R+ tribute band and German native. We were comparing things we liked and disliked on the album, and I remember having to go back and listen to "Lügen" multiple times because I was so caught off guard by what I heard. I immediately knew this was my favorite track from the record. There's something haunting about the opening piano, and the drop in of guitars at the 45s mark. The song is about a person who lives their live by telling lies, and eventually gets to the point where they lie so much that they don't even know what is true anymore. There's even some heavy autotune thrown in on the last verse just to prove the point of things being fake. Total brilliance. Way to go, Rammstein. What more can be said?



Previous five #2s:

2021: The Struts - Another Hit of Showmanship (ft Albert Hammond Jr)
2020: Purity Ring - stardew
2019: The Broken Relics - Where The Creatures Roam
2018: The War On Drugs - Pain
2017: Future Islands - Ran

No comments:

Post a Comment