Friday, December 9, 2022

The 2022 Jester One Music Top 20 Countdown - #12

#12. Coheed and Cambria - The Liars Club


Title: The Liars Club
Artist: Coheed and Cambria
Album: Vaxis – Act II: A Window of the Waking Mind


Show of hands... how many of you knew Coheed was still doing their thing? I remember how caught up the world was in the era of "The Favor House Atlantic" and Good Apollo IV, and how they slowly faded away. Well, that's not entirely fair, because each of their last 7 albums have reached (at least) #3 on the US Hard Rock charts and the Top 25 of the Billboard 200 charts. They just don't have songs that chart, which makes their reign of popularity even more unlikely. The fact of the matter is that Claudio Sanchez is an absolutely brilliant human being who writes incredible graphic novels and translates them into song. I don't even know how he exists - he's obviously some sort of alien.

Okay, I've written too much. I'm just glad that they're still chugging along because they are an admirable outfit. Anyways, "The Liars Club" and "Shoulders", the first single from Vaxis II are the highest charting Coheed songs since 2006's "Welcome Home", and deservedly so. The former opens with a startling synth line and a blasting chorus that makes it perfect for rolling the windows down and screaming along. Go, listen!


Favorite line: Oh, do you want me to lie? 'Cause I could do it, baby, I could do it - lie to you? I'm begging you. 'Cause life feels so much better when we just avoid the truth. Baby, are you okay to lie with me?"



Previous five #12s

2021: Romy - Lifetime
2020: Alright Years - Something I Can Dance To
2019: Bloody Hammers - From Beyond The Grave
2018: Fashion Week - Tell Me Something
2017: Incubus - No Fun

No comments:

Post a Comment