Saturday, December 17, 2022

The 2022 Jester One Music Top 20 Countdown - #4

 #4. Truslow - Abbey Dear


Title: Abbey Dear
Artist: Truslow
Album: Natural Killer


Truslow is one of my all-time favorite bands, and all 3 of his records have been absolutely fantastic. I feel blessed getting to hear the bands namesake sing every Sunday at church, but the talent in the band is absolutely abundant. I had already heard half of the songs on the record by the time that it dropped, but "Abbey Dear" was immediately the one I gravitated towards on first spin. It's interesting though - the first time I listened to it, I was unsure of what to think. What do you do when one of your favorite artists records a new album? You try to temper your expectations and just enjoy the music for what it is, and on first listen I did that and this was the only song that stood out. 

Since then, the album has been listened to backwards and forwards at least a dozen times this year and nothing shines brighter than James Truslow's anthemic ballad about his love for his wife. The song starts with a simple piano and just continues to build and build until the final chorus bursts through your speakers. After giving "Abbey Dear" a few spins on release day, I realized that this was the type of song that I would want to write for my wife, if I were a fantastically talented songwriter like James is.  I can't be the only one who feels this way. Of another note of interest, this is the 5th year in the last 7 where a local artist landed at #4.  (2016, '18, '20, '21)


Favorite line: "I'm just a bottle in the sea - my words, my songs they mean nothing to me. You are the current in the deep - your breath, your touch, every moment you speak..."



 
 

Previous five #4s:

2021: A Tiger Made of Lightning - Little Birds
2020: Forever Unknown -  Bury Me
2019: VHS Collection - Sign
2018: Curse of Cassandra - Re-Bind
2017: The Birthday Massacre - All of Nothing


No comments:

Post a Comment