Thursday, December 15, 2022

The 2022 Jester One Music Top 20 Countdown - #6

 #6. YUNGBLUD - The Funeral


Title: The Funeral
Artist: YUNGBLUD
Album: YUNGBLUD


The ride of YUNGBLUD has been a fascinating one to watch. The way he has blown up in the last 4 years has been nothing short of incredible. The British media treats him like royalty while people in the United States seem to have no idea what to think about him. Fortunately for him, Spotify is an English entity and funnels traffic towards artists who are popular in the UK, so his face seems to be everywhere you go in the rock world. I honestly hadn't taken the time to really listen to him before because he felt like another media hype product, similar to MGK and other pop-rockers, but as I've dug into him I've found myself relating to him more and more. The aesthetic immediately caught me, but it's the relevance of his lyrics that really nailed me. I remember I was driving to work one morning when I first heard "The Funeral" and I really haven't looked back since. The song bounces around and has a great feel and upbeat lyrics about how it's okay to feel what you're feeling in any given moment. Also, I really dig the quirkiness and rasp of his voice.


Favorite line: "Do you tell yourself that it's alright that you dream about the day you die?"

 


 

Last five #6s:

2021: Gang of Youths - the angel of 8th ave.
2020: TRVSS - All The Bugs
2019:  Rammstein - Radio
2018: Turnspit - Walk Away
2017: Assemblage 23 - Bravery

No comments:

Post a Comment