Monday, December 18, 2023

The 2022 Jester One Music Top 20 Countdown - #3

 #3. White Lies - Trouble In America

 

 

Title: Trouble in America
Artist: White Lies
Album: As I Try Not To Fall Apart (Deluxe Edition)

 

We've reached the 3 songs that I thought had a shot at being #1 this year. Buckle up!

 

Every now and then a song pops up in an adjacent playlist and takes me for a ride. I don't know where I found "Trouble In America" but I know it was in the winter months and I was playing a lot of Destiny 2. Interesting how memory plays you like that. Anyways, within 2 or 3 spins, I knew this was going to be one of those songs that is constantly stuck in my head and added to multiple playlists.

And so it went! All the way up to #3 on the Countdown this year, with an infection bass and key rhythm and a fantastic bridge building up to an explosive chorus that is difficult to shake. It's a song that I sang and danced to many times without ever really digging into the lyrics - a true musical bliss song for me. The must've sang the chorus a thousand times the year over and even as the year waned it never fell out of rotation. Just a really solid, fun song that reminded me of mid-2000s synth driven alt-rock.


Favorite line: "My old man's making trouble in America, oh Lord take the weight off of me"

 

 


 

 
 
 
 

Previous five #3s:

2022: Ronnie Martin - From the Womb of the Morning, The Dew of Your Youth Will Be Yours
2021: Acceptance - At the Edge of the Earth
2020: White Reaper - Real Long Time
2019: Smith & Thell - Forgive Me Friend
2018: Vesperteen - Medicine

No comments:

Post a Comment