Wednesday, December 20, 2023

The 2023 Jester One Music Top 20 Countdown - #1

 #1. The Classic Crime - Alone In The City


Track: Alone In The City
Artist: The Classic Crime
Album: Grim Age

 

 

I've been a fan of The Classic Crime since their 2010 record Vagabonds, but they've never actually made the Countdown. I was a little late on figuring out how much I liked Vagabonds, and in 2012 their song "The Precipice" just missed out on cracking the list. It wasn't quite the runaway to #1 that the last two years were, but there was definitely a point, probably within a month of when this album was released, that I realized that this was one of those transcendent songs that would be on my daily playlist for a long, long time.

The song opens with a beautiful cello, a soft guitar and a basic drum beat joins alongside. There isn't a ton musically to lift things up until the final verse, which explodes as if it were shot from a launchpad into the stratosphere. I could quote every line of lyrics as being my favorite and the musical progression only makes the final verse stand out even more. The song isn't a single, doesn't have a music video, and is barely among the top 5 streamed songs on the record. But for me, it was both the most streamed and most influential song released in 2023, and is now enshrined among the greats that finished at #1.



Favorite line: "There's a man on the corner screaming at me, says that I have a problem; I guess I agree. So I reach in my pocket to give him some change, and he pushes it back; says it can't fix the pain"






Previous five #1s:

2022: Forever Unknown - sad people, blue eyes
2021: Teenage Wrist - Taste of Gasoline
2020: Lilieae - Level
2019: VNV Nation - Only Satellites
2018: Florence + The Machine - Sky Full Of Song
2017: Morning Theft - Skeleton Twins

No comments:

Post a Comment