Saturday, December 16, 2023

The 2023 Jester One Music Top 20 Countdown - #5

 #5. The Awakening - Gabriel


Title: Gabriel
Artist: The Awakening
Album: The Passage Remains


The Awakening is actually one of my wife's favorite bands, with Ashton Nyte being one of her all-time favorite musicians. So I've been "listening" to them for a while, although not really latching onto anything other than the fact that they make solid music, an Nyte has an incredible voice. I've checked out their last 3 albums without a lot of hurrah, but something on The Passage Remains really nailed me. There are several songs that were in rotation the majority of the year for me: "All is Grey", "The Never World", "The Carraige", and of course "Gabriel". The bass-line on the song rumbles throughout, the chorus progression is one of my favorite's from the entire year... I don't really know what it was that set this song apart, but it made a heavy impression on 2023 for me.

There was a significant jump from #6 to #5 in streams this year, meaning we're really into the meat and potatoes of songs now. I suppose that's appropriate with these being the top 5 and all... we'll see where we go from here!


Favorite line: "Out of the fire, through the valley below. Swing from the wire and let it go"

 


 


 

Previous five #5s:

2022: Silversun Pickups - Alone on a Hill
2021: Meryl Creep - Spiraling
2020: Empathy Test - Monsters
2019: Within Temptation - In Vain
2018: Andrew WK - Music Is Worth Living For

No comments:

Post a Comment