Thursday, December 14, 2023

The 2023 Jester One Music Top 20 Countdown - #7

#7. Teenage Wrist - Something Good

 

Title: Something Good
Artist: Teenage Wrist
Album: Still Love


It was just two years ago when Teenage Wrist burst onto the scene and ran away with the #1 song, "Taste of Gasoline". Even with a host of great other songs released that year, Taste was far and away the most played song of the year and my anticipation for their next release was significantly high. 

They did not disappoint. "Sunshine", "Still Love", "Digital Self", "Cigarette Two Step"... this album is full of outstanding and emotionally hazy songs, reigniting the best characteristics of shoegaze and alternative metal styles with a newer edge. Interestingly, it was a non-single "Something Good" that really blasted me. It might be the emotional high-point of the album and although several tracks got a good amount of spins, it was the one that I kept coming back to time and again.


Favorite line: "I just wanted to love myself - I did the best I could. I wanna come back to something good".

 

 


 

 


 

Last five #7s:

2022: Best Foot Back - Give It A Go
2021: '68 - Bad Bite
2020: King Princess - Ohio
2019: Cold - Shine
2018: Jukebox the Ghost - Everybody's Lonely

No comments:

Post a Comment