Saturday, December 9, 2023

The 2023 Jester One Music Top 20 Countdown - #12

 #12. Kamelot - Eventide


Title: Eventide
Artist:
Kamelot
Album: The Awakening


I had to check my notes just to be sure, but in the history of the J1 Countdown (2009-2022), released 4 albums without actually charting. 3 of those 4 albums had songs that made the "Songs That Just Missed) list (Hunter's Season, Veil of Elysium, Amnesiac, respectively). There have been plenty of other solid power/symphonic metal entries, but neither Kamelot nor Evergrey (my other favorite of the genre) have charted... until today!

All of that being said, this might be my favorite Kamelot album since 2007's Ghost Opera. It's not just the heavy breakdowns and lyrical poetry of "Eventide", but also the sheer power of "One More Flag in the Ground", the screaming guitars of "The Looking Glass", and the ballad-esque opening of "My Pantheon". But it was "Eventide" that took to the skies the first time I listened to the album and never looked back. The song is crushingly heavy and beautifully written, as most Kamelot songs are, and is a worthy debut after so many years of coming oh-so-close.


Favorite line: "Until life and death will reunite, your song shall guide me through my house of pain"






Previous five #12s

2022: Coheed and Cambria - The Liars Club
2021: Romy - Lifetime
2020: Alright Years - Something I Can Dance To
2019: Bloody Hammers - From Beyond The Grave
2018: Fashion Week - Tell Me Something

No comments:

Post a Comment