Saturday, December 2, 2023

The 2023 Jester One Music Top 20 Countdown - #19

 #19. Switchfoot - On Fire (Ingrid Andress Version)

 Title: On Fire (Ingrid Andress)
Artist: Switchfoot
Album: The Beautiful Letdown (Our Version)(Deluxe Edition)



Now this is an interesting one. Switchfoot decided to re-release their massive 2003 album, The Beautiful Letdown, for its 20th anniversary. The album featured re-recorded versions of all of the songs, calling it "Our Version". A few months later they one-upped themselves by released a collaborative version with re-imaginations of each song by different unique artists. It was definitely a brilliant undertaking, and although I didn't necessarily love the other band's versions of songs I had spent 20 years loving, one stood out about the rest.

The most ironic part for me is that On Fire was probably my least favorite, or perhaps least listened to song on the original album over the years. Something about the softness and sincerity of Ingrid Andress' voice really brings a new life into the song. I actually consider this version better than the original, and it had enough momentum to roll into the Countdown at #19.


Favorite Line: "When everything inside me looks like everything I hate, You are the hope I have for change, You are the only chance I'm gonna take"

 



 

Last five #19s:

2022: Bad Omens - Like A Villain
2021: Royal Blood - Typhoons
2020: The Broken Relics - Goodbye Tennessee
2019: Sigrid - Sucker Punch
2018: Rick Springfield - In The Land of the Blind

No comments:

Post a Comment