Sunday, December 17, 2023

The 2023 Jester One Music Top 20 Countdown - #4

 #4. Gable Price and Friends - I Don't Wanna Live Like This


Title: I Don't Wanna Live Like This
Artist: Gable Price and Friends
Album: The Consequence Of Being Alive


It's always interesting to me how many bands that I had never listened to before sneak into the top 5 every year. It's not beyond reason that a new band should make their best music first - the term "sophomore jinx" rings evermore, but in looking through the history of the Top 20, there is a plethora of artists on their first or second album right there at the top. Gable Price and Friends have only been a band since 2020, and I remember the first time I heard this song I was like, whoa, this is THE song. 

There are a lot of times when you first hear a song and ride that initial wave, but for "I Don't Wanna Live Like This", the wave went the entirety of 2023; the mark of a truly great song. There's a positivity in Price's words and voice as the band blasts through an incredible amount of harmonious pop-rock. The album has a lot of great positivity and leans on getting through the hardest times of our lives. It also breaks a run of 3 straight years where the #4 spot went to a local artist. Perhaps there will be more later?



Favorite line: "Please be kind, I'm breaking, I'm in used condition - truth don't make it alright"





 
 

Previous five #4s:

2022: Truslow - Abbey Dear
2021: A Tiger Made of Lightning - Little Birds
2020: Forever Unknown -  Bury Me
2019: VHS Collection - Sign
2018: Curse of Cassandra - Re-Bind

No comments:

Post a Comment