Monday, December 11, 2023

The 2023 Jester One Music Top 20 Countdown - #10

 #10. Phoenix - Tonight (ft Ezra Koenig)


Title: Tonight (ft Ezra Koenig)
Artist: Phoenix
Album: Alpha Zulu



Phoenix dropped one of my all-time favorite albums in 2009 (with Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix) and promptly fell right off of my radar. Their music is a little too ridiculous and scripted sometimes, but they almost cracked the 2017 Countdown with "J-Boy". I didn't expect much from Alpha Zulu, and it wasn't until midway through the year that something in the bass-line and chorus really nailed me. I couldn't get through the entire album, but this song is ridiculously catchy, and having Vampire Weekend singer Ezra Koenig on the 2nd verse doesn't hurt at all either.


Favorite line: "Now I talk to myself and it's quite surprising"





 

Previous five #10s:

2022: Andy Mineo - Been About It (ft Lecrae)
2021: Echo Image - Walk My Mind
2020: Loathe - Two-Way Mirror
2019: Fit For A King - When Everything Means Nothing
2018: The Night Game - The Outfield

No comments:

Post a Comment